Tuesday, March 18, 2014

In the Spotlight


I had originally began this post by writing a short story. It was a trial at writing a noir style, as well as an exercise in character development. It even had a little pearl of wisdom tucked inside. However, with everything that's currently going on in my life, I think I had bit off more than I could chew for a blog post.

Instead, I'm going to talk a bit about the state of things in my life. It began with this question: "How does it feel to be famous?"

First, no. Of course I'm not famous. Not even a micro-celebrity. Not even a local celebrity. This remark was made in jest because my Facebook wall has been trampled by requests for my book (which is awesome).

As to the surge in popularity, I'm on the fence. I'm an introvert by nature, and I have paralyzing stage fright, so all of the people asking me to sign their copy of the book is a bit unsettling. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to do it, but even when it's a close friend, I feel like I'm being put on the spot and judged.

On the other hand, of course it's great. Obviously I hope to make money with my writing. I have my grand dreams of being an author full time, and never having to punch another clock. But it's more than that. I wouldn't say I'm writing for the popularity, so much as I'm writing for the recognition.

No, my life was not plagued by people telling me that I'd never amount to much. Quite the contrary actually. But also understand that, before this, the only thing I've ever seen through to completion was high school. Everything else in my life, I've typically given up on or lost interest in. So while my recognition isn't in the tone of "I'll show them", it does resonate with "I'll show me".

I think that's more important than people realize. Actually, I think that's the primary difference between successful people and the no-name folks who trickle by unnoticed. They finish things. That's it.

The fact that I'm writing this on a Tuesday rather than a Monday, as I was supposed to, speaks volumes to my attention span. Schedules and expectations have always been weird and uncomfortable for me, and since the release of Snake Eyes Lie, I've been trying to break that taboo.

That's why I have a progress bar on my website. I want people to see how I'm doing with Book Two, and I want to know that people can see how I'm doing. My hope is that it will make just uncomfortable enough to stay on task.

I know that other authors are typically frustrated and annoyed by people constantly pestering them about finishing their "next book", and I probably will too. However, that's why I do it. I love that people are already asking me about when Book Two will come out. I also probably need that pestering (but just a little).

The few people who have actually finished my book so far have loved it, and that is the best feeling in the world. I am absolutely humbled and honored by their anxiousness for the second in the series.

ALSO! As a closing note here: I will be at EgoCon this weekend. It's a small-time, local sci-fi & fantasy convention. I'll have a table set up, and I'll be signing books (as well as writing Book Two). It sounds absolutely terrifying to me, so feel free to show up and keep me distracted.

No comments:

Post a Comment